Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new CJ! Have some questions about it.

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new CJ! Have some questions about it.

I picked this up a few days ago and have been on the forums for a few days now thought I would introduce myself. This is my 78 CJ 7 it has:
    Chevy 350 Balanced an Blueprinted
    Turbo 350 trans
    Full Fiberglass body (not thrilled about it)
    3" body lift
    6" suspension lift(could be wrong its what i was told)
    35's all new
    B&M Ratchet Shifter
    Chevy 6 lug axels

Needs all the gauges wired up but thinkin of doing a custom set up, Anyone got some spare gauges? I traded a 92 Ford Explorer for it. Not bad. Anyways here are some pics of it. I have some what fixed the cracking body under my seat but would like some one with a fiber tub to chime in and help me out. Took it out messing around and blew a tranny line :oops: :angry:. Came home and got the tools to fix and its all good now.:tongue:Well all I really need to do to it now is:
    Fix the craptasic welding job on it
    Fix the brakes (have to stand on them to stop)
    Also with the brakes i have a stuck caliper i think
    Make the tub stronger or get a steel one
    Fix the gauges or get some new ones

Feel free to let me know what you think about it and any suggestions you may have!

Last edited by rockhopinCj; 05-27-08, 04:25 PM.

Take some pics of the rear springs and that chain. In the other thread you were talking about the chain, and we assumed it was a limiter...however, what I'm seeing in pic #5 and #7 looks like the chain is running from the front of the spring perch to ???? horizontally?

Comment

Here are some more pics of the suspension. The chain goes from the back axle where it is spot welded then to the spring perch.. Also question about the front suspension.. Does is look right? Is there suppose to be that clamp on the shock? Need some help.

Comment

Chain almost looks like a cheap traction bar. Weird

Comment

Ya I have no clue what it is there for. I have never seen something like that. All I know is it was built for mud bogging. I am still going through it and finding out what it needs to be complete. I have driven it on the street and it feels ok, needs a new bushing on the steering rod tho. Any suggestions on the gauges? Should I try and make the old work or just get new ones? I was thinking about doing my own dash and gauge set up but looking for ideas.

Comment

Looks like it might be there to prevent axle wrap but, then again it's going the wrong way for that! Who knows? Never seen anything like that before!
            "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

I figured it was there to keep the axle on, this thing is a monster. But then again what do I know. Does that clamp belong on the front shock? or is a cheap way to lift the jeep?

Comment

If you do an online search, every part is available for a CJ. You can find a reproduction of the instrument cluster and all the gauges.
                I'm kind of old school and think a CJ should resemble a CJ. I noticed that your fender flares are off a newer Jeep. I'm okay with that but I didn't see side lights or turn signal lights. Is this legal in NM?
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                  If you do an online search, every part is available for a CJ. You can find a reproduction of the instrument cluster and all the gauges.
                  I'm kind of old school and think a CJ should resemble a CJ. I noticed that your fender flares are off a newer Jeep. I'm okay with that but I didn't see side lights or turn signal lights. Is this legal in NM?
                  Im not sure about if I want to keep it stock or if I want to make it all custom. It came with those flares on it when I got it which ones are they? I dont really drive it on the street only have once, but to answer your question yes it is illegal. But like I say its only illegal if you get caught. Well sort of.

Comment

Hey I've seen the Cops show when filmed in ABQ! You sure you want to be illegal there?

BTW, my oldest son is stationed at Kirtland AFB.
                    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                    MJR moderator
                    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

Ya I dont really drive it on the street. I have a tow bar if I need to take it some where.. I go wheeling over by the AFB all of the time. Well against the fence, and around there. There is not much out there just lots of sand and some fairly large hills. Fun but I need to find some new places to go out here kind of bored with the usual places. What fender flares are those that I have on the jeep? Anyone know what style they came from?

Comment

First and foremost, Congrats on your new CJ. It will likely bring your years of enjoyment and agony. As you seem to be asking for thoughts on your purchase, I thought I would share a few that I had. Keep in mind, that these thoughts are worth about what you paid for them............nothing. As they say, opinions are like..................

I have had the pleasure to met SARJeeper & Dirtman13, so I will attest to their CJ knowledge. Roger and I have not met, but I have found his posts to be well thought out and informed. My point being, that I would suggest you get opinions from a number of CJ & YJ (very similar leaf sprung Jeeps) owners to help you with your project.

Here goes nothing.............

Your fender flares are Jeep style flares.......they are just of a much more recent vintage than your CJ. I have been looking carefully at your pictures, and noticed the following items/questions.........

The rear chain thingy........I would say this needs to go. If it is indeed masking another issue, you should fix the underlying issue. I can understand limiting straps and anti-wrap devices, but this chain does not make much sense to me. I would remove it, and then check to see if indeed it was necessary. Limit straps and antiwrap devices could more effectively take the place of the chain, if needed.

The front shock clamp........this looks like a clamp to limit travel in the front. I notice that the shock mounts are not original. Late model CJs offered a fairly long shock mount, earlier CJs had the mount in a similar (don't flame me for that comment) location. I believe the longer travel mount is far superior for a Spring Over suspension. Some good options are:get OEM style shock towers to replace what you have, by longer aftermarket towers (many available), or use what you have. I believe the limiting clamps should go....get your shock mounts and size the correct shocks. If you need to limit travel, properly designed bump stops and limit straps are your best option.

I don't know exactly what to make of the forward rear spring mounts. It would appear that they were built to outboard the rear springs, which can be quite a good thing to do with full width axles. However, their construction seems a bit questionable. This should be something to put on your to look into list as well.

Finally, if you intend to runs tires of the size you have currently, I am not at all convinced that you need the body lift that is on your Jeep. This is truly a personal preference item, but one to consider.

I trust that others more knowledgeable than I can advise you on these and other issues that you are concerned about.

It looks to me like you have the basis of a real nice Jeep. I'm sure it will do well as it is currently setup. As with any Jeep, the sky is the limit on what you can do. Common sense and an I on value for your dollar will go a long way. Best of luck!

-ECV Jeep
                        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

yah the first thing i would do is ditch the 3'' body lift for a 1'' body lift..

you will get everything you need for the swap.. plus you can sell the 3'' body lift to a noob who doesnt know better =D

Comment

I have seen this done with a strap once out on a trail in Idaho. The guy had a AMC20 equipped with a locker and still had the two piece axle. The woodruff key had sheared so the axle would spin but not drive the wheelon that side. The result was the axle tried to twist (not wrap)and would pull the jeep to one side when he accelerated. The strap reduced this affect from happening long enough for him to get back to town. If the chain is on one side I would look at the axle a little closer.

Comment

Working...
                            X