Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Lucerne / Grapvine Canyon

Today I took advantage of not having a job and Roger being off on Fridays and we headed off in search of an secluded old mine that I have been looking for. This was shaping up to be an outstanding day. When I got to Rogers house in Lucerne, I was surprised to see Rogers wife Leann as his passenger and also his son Steve in his TJ joining us. We only had to travel 2 blocks to pick up the trailhead. We poked around with great88 in the lead trying different trails and access points till I spotted the old mine. From a deep sand wash we found 2 different tunnels on oposing sides os the canyon and also a deep shaft. Inside the main adit (tunnel), was a left right split about 20 feet in. The right split went another 40 feet and then had a straight down shaft with timbers and a ladder, this looked scary and it was avoided. Back to the left split, it went in 120 feet and also ended in a verticle shaft going straight down. A rock dropped rock confirmed that it was deep. We left the main tunnel, did some exploring and the other side of the canyon and decided to not "crawl" into the rather small opening!.

After leaving and playing in the area for a little while we headed west to Grapevine Canyon (4N16). We stopped for a break and a snack at the mouth of the canyon, then made the steep climp up to the Microwave Relay Station on top of the peak. From here we took 3225 and it was a great twisty, tight winding trail that joined 3N17 (White Mountain) and brought us back to 4N16. Steve returned home via 4N16 and Roger and Leann followed me back to 3N14 and down to Apple Valley.

This was another fantastic day! No wind, we could see 100 miles, and we saw 1 person in 5 hours of wheeling. Thanks Roger, Leann, and Steve!

Mitch

This is the hard to find little mine I was searching for.

Left or right / your choice!

Watch out for deep shafts

Following Steve and Roger around the Lucerne hills

Break time at the mouth of Grapevine Canyon

Climbing up to the summit

Awesome views

A cool winding trail (3225)

Leaving 3N17 to 4N16
    Last edited by Mitch; 11-14-08, 06:09 PM.

Cool pics, something to be said for having all this free time

Comment

Art,

Work can get in the way of your Jeepin for sure! As long as I can put gas in the Jeep I'll be going out all the time. If anyone wants to chase mines around the Lucerne / Oro Grande area let me know.

Mitch

Comment

Mitch,

Great to run with you today! Like always!

We had a fun day especially since my son Steve had the day off. Starting way back when he was just a kid, I think he has explored every square inch of Lucerne Valley and knows it like the back of his hand.

Here's a map of our run today. We started at the west end of 3111 and ended at Coxx Truck Trail & Roundup Way:
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Damn you Mitch! I should be back around the 2nd. If my butt is not worn off, and I still have some tire left, lets GO!!!
          :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Hey Mitch, I noticed the black diamond sign with a dirt bike on it, have you done White mtn,and how would it be on a bike?
            :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Dave,

The trails that we ran would be perfect but I think they are street legal only. I've heard that White Mountain is hairy towards the top and the trail is lots of loose rocks for most of the climb. Check out the post for the John Bull run that I did today. This is another trip that is waiting for you when you get back home.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by flatpoint View Post
                Hey Mitch, I noticed the black diamond sign with a dirt bike on it, have you done White mtn,and how would it be on a bike?
                White Mountain trail on a bike? Loose softball size rock all the way from the bottom to the top, do not stop till you reach the top! It connects the 2W01 to the 1W17 for all the non plated bikes.
                How many little drips are in a quart?

Comment

Just an update on this area,

On Sunday May 9th 2010 I took High Rd up Grapevine canyon. On the ride up before you get to the relay Station the road has some bad spots. It's eroding in the switch backs from the rain/run off. It's passable right now but another good rain or two and it won't be. It needs some work pretty quick.

I went to the right at the split of 3225/3327 took 3227 on up to Big Pine campground. The rest of the trail was in decent shape.

This was my first time on this trail, was just out doing some reseach for a future run. Looks like I should've went left at the split, looks like more fun.

Thanks for the directions Roger.
                  Last edited by Gary; 05-11-10, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post

...Thanks for the directions Roger.

I'm glad to help. That's what I do!
                    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                    MJR moderator
                    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment