Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor cherokee rebuild (in stages)

My 00' cherokee bit some black ice and insurance company salvaged it. They let me buy it back real cheap so the rebuild started.

Here is the damage.

the trimming on rear begins.

and the front

Fed Ex showed up with new parts, really impressed with these ebay parts, fender 109 shipped and header panel 89 shipped.

They lined up perfectly.
    Driver's fender installed.

Header panel on.

And completed project minus paint and front bumper (next to be built). Actually drove to DMV and started the salvage title process, 1/3rd done.

And to the
    front bumper, coming along really well but took a long time. Next step is to cut holes for for recovery points, to be welded down the frame supports. Will take completely off and finish welding and capping. Made out 3/16 5 inch channel.

Took it off and did most of the welding. Thinking about putting light holes right in the inside edges. Thinking about placing one gusset on the inside corners, yay or nay.

And the completion, next to add is the tow brackets and misc.

I vote no light holes in the bumper. I think lights would look nicer on top of the bumper. How about some recovery anchors?
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

That came out very nice, how about a hoop with some light on them?

Comment

Recovery anchors are next, just trying to figure out how to drill 7/8 hole in 3/4 inch stock for shackle tabs. The drill bit is more expensive than buying already made ones. A hoop is a possibility, don't have a bender though.

Comment

Originally posted by scherf68 View Post
          Recovery anchors are next, just trying to figure out how to drill 7/8 hole in 3/4 inch stock for shackle tabs. The drill bit is more expensive than buying already made ones. A hoop is a possibility, don't have a bender though.
          I can drill that for you. You have the stuff already? I have a box full of 7/8 bits.
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

That would be great Kurt, a friend has some nearby but if it doesn't work out I will take you up on that offer. Just dreading a drive to Long Beach.
            Last edited by scherf68; 02-05-09, 08:04 PM.

Comment

But if you have an extra one I will buy it from you via paypal. The biggest I have is 5/8th, actually drilled up to that in the 3/4 stock already.

Comment

Originally posted by scherf68 View Post
                But if you have an extra one I will buy it from you via paypal. The biggest I have is 5/8th, actually drilled up to that in the 3/4 stock already.
                I have OHV training Saturday out off of Tippecanoe. That's out by you. I can bring a bit with me and you can meet me there if you want.
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

If you need a little hoop built, you can come over to our place and im sure we can get you set up with one... Were just right over in Riverside.
                  |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Thanks for the offer on the hoop, will definately hit you up on that.

Comment

Jim,

I got to see the "Before" in person. You are doing a great job.
                      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                      MJR moderator
                      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

I built the rear but failed to take pictures during. Here it is on the xj. Plans are to put a receiver in later.

Comment

Do those d-ring tabs go through the bumper and weld to the inside of the box? They seem kinda small to me, especially to be pulling from.
                          |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

They are welded through both sides, 3/4 x 2 inch bar. Should of went with 3 inch wide because the bumper is 6x2 3/16 tube. May add wome wedges on bottom and top to blend in better. Based them off the ones below, they have been on my tj for a long time and have been yanked or pulled many times. The bumper itself is mounted with 8 bolts each side, 4 down the unibody and 4 original face plate.

Last edited by scherf68; 04-05-09, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Yeah in that case im sure they will be fine, they just looked a little small. Looks good overall though. I like how you filed the gap below the tail lights.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X