Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Affordable add on Cage for your tj

With the recent rollovers that have been happening I thought I would share the great deal I got on a add on sport cage for a pretty good price. I pretty much just finished putting an add on cage on my tj and I am very happy with the out come. Fred (flatout) turned me onto this cage and so far fred, me, art(aw12345) and my buddy victor have installed them. The front kit is made by s&w race cars who make cages for race car of course so I am pretty sure they know what they are doing. The cage is dom tubing and comes with 2 front bent bars that goto the floor and 1 header bar 1 dash bar and 2 spreader bars that tie in the stock main hoop.
    I had a welder who works for my buddy who stretches limosines who is not doing much right now because of the slow economy weld it up. The guy is a good welder as his work showes it. Heres some pic of the almost finished product. Understand alot of the stuff that you see is not included in the kit like handles, gusset tubes and everything from the main hoop back we added all that on.
    Notice the dash needs to be cut:

cross dash bar:

This is how we attached it to the main hoop the kit uses the stock bolt on units slid into the dom tube.

Front view I wonder how it would be running arround offroad with the windshield down.

I had him add a plate between the center bars so I could put my cb in between the bars. This accomplished 2 things 1. gets it out of the way and 2. put the speaker closer to my ear so I can hear it with the top down while driving.

Heres some extras we did to strenghten the back:

If anyone is interested in doing one of these cages and want to have it installed. The guy who welded mine up is needing some work and is more than willing to do it for a fee. He has made arangement with my buddy to use the welders electricity and shop because times are so slow for building limos. He wants about $525 which includes the front cage and to weld and install this dom cage and bolt it to the floor with backing plates. Thats cheaper than buying a rock hard bolt in cage that doesnt even go to the floor. He said he can do any extra stuff like painting,handles and weld in extra kicker bars for a nominal fee also. Feel free too contact me for more info. Mods not sure if this is the right place to put this please move it to where you feel fit.
    Last edited by Jeeperator; 05-28-09, 10:37 AM.

Looks good.
    "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Do you know if they make a kit for a YJ?
      "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Yes they make one for a yj also same price. not sure if installation is harder though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
          Yes they make one for a yj also same price. not sure if installation is harder though.
          Very cool, I'll be looking into this kit for sure! Any info on price (of the kit only), how to contact them or order it?

Thanks, Scott
          Last edited by avjeepfreek; 05-28-09, 02:27 PM.

Comment

I looked on their website, couldn't find it. Do you have a link?
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

http://www.swracecars.com/Files/pdf/CATpg22.pdf bottom left.phone # is on the page. If we can get at least 10 people who want cages it might be possible to have them shipped on a pallet and save everyone shipping cost and pick them up at a central location. If I remember correctly shipping was just under $80 for one setup to so cal.
              Last edited by Jeeperator; 05-28-09, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Beau the 35's look pretty sweet on your Jeep

Comment

Thanks art, I ended up putting them on 10's with 4inches of back spacing.They stick out alot for more stability like yours. They seem to fit perfect lock to lock. I need to adjust the bump stops and see if they rub the fender lets go flex it this weekend.
                  Last edited by Jeeperator; 05-28-09, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Awesome, Thanks!

Comment

Your welcome! as far as the installed price thats not etched in stone I have to talk to him to find out the final price it might be cheaper. I am not benifiting in anyway just trying to help the guy out in these hard times. You must know this cage is not for the average shadetree mecchanic it does take some doing to get it just right. I dont recomend using a 110amp welder to weld it either , you need the penatration of a 220amp for strong welds. ~$500 for a welded in front cage is hard to beat imho.

Comment

Looks good and a great price.

What about the soft top? Will it fit back on?

Comment

The front roll cage that attaches to the factory one is $199? What's labor charge?
                          http://www.swracecars.com/Files/pdf/CATpg22.pdf

Comment

Yes the soft top will fit just like stock as long as its done right. This welders has done 2 of these so far so he knows what he is doing.
                            The cage is $199 + ~$80 shipping so $280 shiped to you. He (the welder) is giving the shop $60 for use of the shop , welder, wire and electricity which I feel is fair. So $340 so far and $160 for labor. Its about an 8 hour job depending on the extras if any. $20 an hour is pretty fair and you wont find that any cheaper for any decent welder. Shoot for a rock hard bolt in cage that doesnt go to the floor its $560 and you have to install it. I believe it uses the stock thin overhead door bars and should still be welded to be completly safe also. This is by far the least expensive welded addon cage I have found. Search for yourselves.

Comment

Beau we will be flexing it this sunday the plan is to go play near heartbreak ridge

Comment

Working...
                              X