[COLOR="Blue"]

EAST BIG BEAR HISTORIC MINING TOUR.
    Rated - MODERATE.
    Date - Sat August 8th - All Day run.
    Meet at Big Bear Discovery Center
    9:00 a.m. Leave at 9:15
    Be sure to bring a lunch.
    CB Channel 25

I've had this run in mind for some time now. It is suitable for a stock Wrangler and other high clearence 4x4. I'll be covering some of the history of the SB Mountains over the CB as we go.

We'll be checking out some of the minning sites from the boom days when east Big Bear was a very popular minning area. There is still remnants of some buildings and plenty of mines to explore. Many are blocked off by the Forest Service, but a couple are still open to enter. Bring a flashlight.

We'll start at 2N03 near Cactus Flats staging area off of Hwy 18, then to 3N03 to Horsethief Flats
    (a moderate 4x trail), then over to the Judy Kay mine on Arrastre Creek. From there up to Tip Top Mt. silver mine for a panoramic view of the So Cal desert (7600ft), then to the Rose Mine area. From there down to Heartbreak Ridge trail 2N61Y (also a moderate 4x trail) There are a couple of mines in this area.

We'll check out and Arrastre and spring in Round Valley, then on up to Juniper Springs, where there is a natural pond and an old miners cabin. (moderate 4x trail). Then on up to Onxy summit and Hwy 38. We may have time to do Lightning Ridge. Going up to a 9300ft peak and giant ancient Juniper forest, with an overlook of the city of Big Bear.[/COLOR]

[roll]492[/roll]
    Last edited by sarah; 07-22-09, 10:39 AM. Reason: roll call

I may just make this one. Just up the Hill from me! I'll let you know when I can confirm.

Thank You
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Might just make this B.B. run. My wife and I haven't explored any of the mines up there yet. If she doesnt work, this would be a great opportunity.
      Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Count me in. Is there a sign up sheet or do I just show up??

Greg
        "I never drive faster than I can see and besides, it's all in the reflexes." Jack Burton

Comment

I will have to see if I can make this! Thanks Roger for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by GeepMe View Post
            Count me in. Is there a sign up sheet or do I just show up??

Greg
            [COLOR="Blue"]For now we'll just keep in touch on the forum. I'll give a final heads up before the run.
            Unless someone who is forum savy wants to start a sign up page.
            mk[/COLOR]
            Last edited by mkjeepers; 07-18-09, 06:18 PM.

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]We might have a special guest with us. I may be able to lassoo Ranger Greg H. from the SBNF to join us with his many years of knowledge of the BB Mts.
              mk[/COLOR]

Comment

sounds fun im in.

Comment

Originally posted by jpn4fun View Post
                  sounds fun im in.
                  [COLOR="Blue"]
                  Cool, looking forward to doing some spelunking (n mine exploring) with everyone.
                  MK[/COLOR]

Comment

This one sounds fun I will try to be on this one with some buddies possibly.

Comment

Sounds great!

I'm in..........

Comment

I will try to be there, working on my Jeep, replacing the windshield frame and going to WiperBoy system. I have been in the area before. Want to go back and do more exploring. I hope I can make it.
                        "JJ" The PhotoJeeper
                        Ham Callsign: KG6HRA

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Good to have you guys along.
                          I picked up a new history book at the Discovery center on Sat.
                          Now I've got some reading to do.

MK[/COLOR]

Comment

I have never been on a run before or done much four wheelin yet. My kids would love the mines. I am going to try to make this one.

Comment

Sounds like fun and will try to make it, but August 8th? that a long ways off, I could be dead from old age by then.

Comment

Working...
                              X