Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 8.8 build

Well, local bone yard has Ford 8.8 for pretty cheap I discovered today. I talked to a local who was pulling one and buying it at check out.

He said that Superior Gear in Rancho Cucamonga would add axles shafts or something to make it widder since the wheel base was shorter. Making it the same size as a Wrangler after.

Q. What are they doing to it to add width?

Q. How do I know by looking at an axle if it has a 4:10 or limited slip (which is what I want)? I know on the GM it says G80., etc. How do you tell on the Fords explorer's? Is there numbers on the axle to look for?

Thanks
    Last edited by Materdaddy; 03-15-10, 09:51 AM. Reason: change title - user request

on the diff cover there should be a tab that has the info on it it will say a few numbers on the first row and then on the bottom row it will say 8.8 3.73 or 4.10. but ill tell u right now that the only ones that have the 410s are the units out of an explorer sport trac. i didnt worry too much about the l.s. because im going to lock it anyway and run 4.56s. and the axle is only 5/8s narrower than the d35. not really worth the time to make it wider. just slap some wheel spacers on it if bothers u that much. and i belive ken is your mechanic right? pm me and ill give u some info.

Comment

Your awsome! Great info. The 5/8" is ok. The guy said it was 1.5" difference. Glad to hear it's a lot less.

I currently have 4:10's now. So, I will keep an eye open for that tab. Thanks!

Comment

Having just built a 44, the 8.8 gives a way bigger tube and more splines. If it's similar money go 8.8. Some people gripe about the c-clips, but if you bind your shafts into the hypoid pinion hard enough to lose a clip - you've got bigger problems. Some 8.8's in exploders came with discs, should be an easy swap.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

Ron check out this link to decode the ID tag. Has all that you would ever need to know.
          http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford13.htm
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I like you was looking for the ever elusive 8.8 with the 4.10s, I gave up when I decided that I was going to regear to 4.88s. All of the axles I saw at the junk yards were all 3.73's. So I just picked the cleanest of the bunch. I have put on some spacers to make up for the 5/8" narrower axles with no problems.

Comment

I had to drive all the way out to Chula Vista to find an 8.8 with 4.10 gears and LSD. Payed $250 for it so it wasnt too bad. Mine came out of a 98 Explorer with 4x4.

The superior gear they are talking about is probably a Super 88 kit that Superior makes. Its a super strong axle shaft kit that will add a little bit of width but its pretty expensive. Unless you are running the hammers, the 8.8 is more than strong enough. The width on the 8.8 is a little bit narrower than the D35, but it is not an issue. If you are really worried about it you could get some wheel spacers, but for me, the width has never been a problem.

This write-up was my Bible when i was reading up for my swap...

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html
              95 YJ
              2.5L Low Output, 4.5" RE, 35" KM2's, D30 Aussie, 8.8, TeraLow 4:1, Outdoor Logic custom fab - Cage, Tube fenders, Sliders, and more.

Comment

You guys are all awsome! Thanks for all the help! I have class all this week. Maybe next week I will start the hunt

Comment

yo ron i have to hit the junkyard myself if u want we can hit it up together and i can help u find a good axle. and sebastian i know exaclty what youre talking about. superior actually calls it their c clip eliminator kit. its rather pricey. i was on the hunt for maybe a different manufacturer to see if anybody offered a a more wallet friendly kit but sadly i must report that i have found no other kits. but youre more likely to shatter your r&p before u snap the axle.

Comment

Here is the number for Joe in Hesperia. A number of us have had him set up gears and he is very reasonable:

760 269-5764
                    Rich

Comment

You should be able to find an 8.8 with 4.10 gears. There are 5 or six here in oceanside. If you are not on the last legs of your 35 I would do everything you want to do to the 8.8 before you put it in. Stuff like a locker, welding the axle tubes, a truss and a armored diff cover.
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                        Here is the number for Joe in Hesperia. A number of us have had him set up gears and he is very reasonable:

760 269-5764
                        How much $ is reasonable?
                        95 YJ
                        2.5L Low Output, 4.5" RE, 35" KM2's, D30 Aussie, 8.8, TeraLow 4:1, Outdoor Logic custom fab - Cage, Tube fenders, Sliders, and more.

Comment

$200 if you ask me. Less if you have to re-gear.
                          Those left standing
                          Will make millions
                          Writing books on ways
                          It should have been
                          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I was wondering how much Joe was charging to set up gears...I'm tired of riding in the truck lane.

(sorry for the thread hijack)
                            95 YJ

Comment

Originally posted by sebastian22 View Post
                              How much $ is reasonable?
                              A call would give you the answer.
                              Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X