Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad spotter, bad driving, and no seatbelt..

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad spotter, bad driving, and no seatbelt..

Got this off of Jeep Forum and figured it's good to learn from if nothing else...

YouTube - 4-Wheel Roll Over Accident Part 1 Heart Attack Hill Anza Borrego Springs

YouTube - 4-Wheel Roll Over Accident Part 2 Heart Attack Hill Anza Borrego Springs

Apparently the driver broke her back and is recovering well. Watch closely and you can see she didn't have a seatbelt on. The spotter didn't communicate well and was flailing his hands around in a way that made it hard to understand. Also, I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like she wasn't disconnected either.

I don't know about you guys, but I kept yelling "turn drivers side!" right before the roll. This could have easily been avoided with more experience and common sense. Not saying I'm the most experienced there is, but even I could see what was done wrong.
    -Justin

Wow that's sad to see . . . bad on so many levels. Hope she recovers.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Thats crazy and definitely could have been avoided. This is a perfect example buy having a good spotter that you can trust and listening to them. Im glad to hear that nobody was more seriously injured.
      [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Wow.. That is a bad roll.
        Another lesson to all that don't wear their seat belt on the trail.

I hope she fully recovers and learns a lot.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Im guessing she got knocked out on the first roll. Otherwise hitting the brakes could have saved a lot of damage, not to mention the lady on foot that almost got squished by a rampaging jeep.
          An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

watching that spotter just pisses me off. does he have parkinson's disease or something. what the hell?!

his movements were so wild and erratic. He didnt know what he was doing. simply stated.
            It could of been avoided and i thought for a moment that she was going to drive out of it. she either blacked out on the 1st roll or just freaked out.

regardless its sad to see.

perhaps people should have to take a course or at least read up and understand on how to spot before they spot.

perhaps learn some airway marshaling signals or something!
            1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Not the first roll there. Heres another Rubi, jumped off the top like a rocket. Driver ended up ok but got a black eye from the club bouncing around the inside.

[IMG][SIZED]http://www.icorva.com/Photography/roll.jpg[/SIZED][/IMG]
              97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
              WEB site

Comment

been down that hill before
                it is a hill, but not as bad as that
                I look at the jeep that rolled and can see a lot of signs that the owner should not have been there. And defiantly that the spotter had no business being there.
                But that happens because there is no school or training to become confident. And so a guy claims to be able to spot and knows not how. And such happens. It is a shame and a reason to reflect on who you wheel with.
                I hope for a full recovery, and that next time they get a different spotter.
                censored for having an opinion

Comment

http://www.4x4training.com

The guy that runs this school Tom Severin, is excellent.
                  He teaches all kinds of courses, and gives you allot of confidence in yourself and what the capabilities are of your rig.
                  06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                  07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Hope she heals well. This hobby/sport is not for everyone, that's for sure.
                    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Here's another link for off-road training done by Dustin Webster: http://www.u4wd.com/index.html

I heard the spotter just before she started going passenger to her to continue working her way over in that direction...dumb.

I couldn't believe the windshield and rear hatch window did not break, and that she did not have any bloody gashes anywhere...pretty lucky lady for not wearing a seat belt. Now maybe people won't get so upset with me when I remind others to wear their seat belts when we are on the trails.

Comment

let me reword that
                          very few guys go to a school, and it is not required.
                          I do know there are schools, but there are no required schools or test

Comment

It,s very sad..God knows I,m not the best jeeper and so do so many other folks..arms flinging around like that I,d of stopped the jeep and said (NEXT SPOTTER PLEASE!)
                            "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

you know, a lot of guys do not trust spotters either.
                              We were doing a knarly hillclimb last fall and near the top was a big rock and a dip, the line to take was get next to the wall and use the sidewall of the front tire to grip it and get over the rock, otherwise you were just sitting there spinning. A lot of guys refused at first and tried other lines. Well in the end it took sidewall. So it goes both ways, spotters see stuff you do not, so we are trained to trust the spotter.
                              what ever it was a sad accident in the video.

Comment

Working...
                              X