Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do...?

Right now I have an all stock '95 Wrangler. What should I do to it first? I will do off-roading, but I want it to still be good for the road. I don't need/want the highest Jeep, biggest tires, or anything like that, however, a small lift might happen in the future. Just some basic stuff that will look nice and perform decent to start off with...

EDIT: Sorry for posting in the wrong section...
    Last edited by D34th; 02-09-05, 03:11 PM.

First accessory should be GASOLINE. Drive it, then drive it some more. Find out the jeeps (and your) limitations. Pick a trail (or trails) and see how you do. See what others have done, analyze that long before you whip out the checkbook.

I don't recall ever wheeling in Connecticut (well, there was that time in Danbury in the rental car), but 90% of all but the most serious wheeling can be done with a small lift, 31" tires and a single locker. Bear in mind also that different areas require different build strategies. My rig is pretty good in the rocks - but would suck big time in mud.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by D34th
      EDIT: Sorry for posting in the wrong section...
      no worries
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I would be doing basic riding. I have a house in Vermont and I would be going on the logging trails. There are over 50 miles of trails up there and i have been on all of it with my ATV, so I would know where I would be going. The trails are just rough dirt roads and some mud and a little bit of rocks, but nothing serious...

Comment

Sounds like 2" of lift, some 31" tires and a rear lockrite to me
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

rocker protection, oil pan skid, steering box skid...(gas tank skid when you need to replace the stock one)

Lift, tires, locker

In that order.

My personal opinion. Have fun!

Tam
            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

How much would a 2" lift and 31" tires kill my gas mileage? I get about 20 MPG now...would it make a big difference? Also, any suggestions for a lift kit? Thanks everyone...

Comment

Tow Hooks and a tow strap (the kind with no metal hooks on the end) should be your first purchase.

Nothing worse than not having a recovery point when you need one.

Then go with the lift and tires. if you are going to be out wheeling alone, might want to consider a winch, though I never recommend wheeling alone. Excrement always seems to transpire at the worst possible moment.

Comment

Originally posted by mparker
                  Tow Hooks and a tow strap (the kind with no metal hooks on the end) should be your first purchase.

Nothing worse than not having a recovery point when you need one.
                  To reinforce mparker: get F and R tow points mounted to the frame.

Yesterday someone needed a winch over some big rocks in a wash - guess what, no tow points. Duh
                  "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

i suggest aussie locker in the front, reinforce what everyone said lift and tires.

when it comes to tires i would look for a very aggressive all terrain tire.

also armor to protect since she is your daily driver, you really dont need an oil pan skid, since the front shackel pretty much covers it, but you could get a steering box brace kit from currie.

oil pan protection definitely! i tore mine open on the street, but than again i am dumb

gas tank you definitely should protect

have fun
                    Carlos

92 YJ
                    GO VEGAN!
                    volunteer at your local food shelter!

Comment

When upgrading consider that you want to get stuff only once. So...

Get stuff that you definitely need. Tow points and tow strap as mentioned.

Get stuff you won't outgrow. Undercarriage skids (gas tank, oil pan, lifted crossmember), bumpers, rocker guards

You will almost never see the above on the used market, because they are items that you will always use and never need to upgrade. Furthermore, it's all you really need to get out there and safely wheel without worrying about messing up the important/expensive parts of your vehicle.

Then and only then, save up as much money as you can reasonably afford or wait to save and set up your rig with tires as big as you will ever want. This will be an expensive purchase as it includes axles, gears, lockers, wheels, tires, driveshafts, lift kit, etc. This is a purchase you will only want to make once. So don't go halfway here. You will see lots of used lift kits and they don't get a lot of return on investment, so don't expect to make your money back by selling your stuff at upgrade.
                      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Ted is very correct here, i always look at it like that, long term expenditures, buy a oil pan skid now, and you never have to pay for one ever, buy shocks now and eventually you need new ones
                        Last edited by Dukes69; 02-10-05, 06:53 PM.
                        Carlos

92 YJ
                        GO VEGAN!
                        volunteer at your local food shelter!

Comment

Working...
                        X