Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Stage trail

I've been spending a lot of time researching a trail which opened in 1860.
    It became one of CA first toll rds. How close are these pictures?

Today I went back into this mirage of canyons and out of luck got this one!
    This place was a mess. Spent the whole day up down and around.

I now have tracked one of the least known freeways in California!

Iam So stoked! Now for the metal detector!
    97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
    WEB site

That is AWESOME!

Id love to go out and see that ...Ill steal my old mans metal detector

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

sweet! that's good stuff.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

That is so cool! Where does the trail star and come out?

Comment

Anyone can find this stuff but it does take time and research. Its like connecting the dots. I still need to complete those dots. Next up is to find out where this guy broke down at. Hey he's truely the first 4 wheeler! But he needs some bigger meats!
          This will take sometime.

Anytime you see something that looks out of place research it! You would be suprise how this was found. Anyone know what it is?

97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
          WEB site

Comment

Judging by the lenght of the chain, it's an old set, or partial set of leg restriants. Maybe that was a route that they transported prisoners back then. If you look through the windshield, there appears to be bars in the back of the vehicle. Yea' old patty wagon so to speak. That looks like some type of sign at the roof line. Can anyone enhance it and read what it says?
            1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

Originally posted by sam 15
              Judging by the lenght of the chain, it's an old set, or partial set of leg restriants. Maybe that was a route that they transported prisoners back then. If you look through the windshield, there appears to be bars in the back of the vehicle. Yea' old patty wagon so to speak. That looks like some type of sign at the roof line. Can anyone enhance it and read what it says?
              Got a spit pot too! but not from this area. Think the guy got away? Actually there mine I excaped from a chain gang...haha. Perhaps the ole chain gang maintained the road? I'll tell you someday where actually those were found.

The trail was from Fort Yuma. Fort Yuma think of that! I have now found another far more interesting trail. I have 3 confirmations from 3 different sources, Yuma, Tuson and old Wells Fargo stuff. I thought perhaps it was a tall tale. Did you know on gold shipments there was another trail beside the overland stage trail? I actually confirmed the trail through old Calvery Army Records.

A whole lot off stuff moved through this area, it was safer then the Serria trail. Our Great president Lincon also transported stuff through this area into Mexico. Course everyone knows this already......

Hey look it this. I found a whole bunch of old stone keepings miles from the road. I wonder why there there?? Another metal detector site!

The power of the ole foot peddle!
              97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
              WEB site

Comment

Ok got this one!

This poor guy is 8 miles down stream from last picture match, if its summer hes cooked!
                Dots connected Case closed!
                97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                WEB site

Comment

nice job. We need to schedule a weekend to go out and test these trails. Let me know when so I can take some time off work (work sundays)
                  1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

Britain, you are good!!
                    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

That's really intersting, I wouldnt mind coming out there and checking it out. We should set something up in febuary. I'd be down for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sully
                        That's really intersting, I wouldnt mind coming out there and checking it out. We should set something up in febuary. I'd be down for that.
                        Sully,
                        Be sure when you come when its not raining. Real bad things can happen in the canyon that road follows.

Heres a picture and you can see the canyon scrubbed clean up to 30ft. It has been know to flush out and exterminate unwanted travelers! This is documented! Some freight wagons would rather go down to San Felipe Mexico and risk bandits then take this road!!

This gorge winds down over large sheets of granite rock. There is steel cable all over the bed , they must have tried to reenforce parts of the road. The cable is about 2 inches and turns to powder in your hands!

To back pack the full canyon would take 2 days. There are two entrances above and below. I spent about 6 months researching it and a month back packing it. I shot over 500 pictures. I must have been one of the first in it in years. I may post later the trip through it.

It is truly a scary place to be...I would not take children into they may find something upsetting........
                        97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                        WEB site

Comment

Vern,
                          I really liked the picture matching that you did. Makes it a lot of fun to look at. When you're out there, do you think about the oldtimers who were in the exact same spot you are in? I imagine thats a strange sensation
                          2000 TJ Sport, 3 spd auto
                          4.5" RE LA, 35" MTR

Comment

Vern your supposed to be letting me know when you going out!!
                            Locked up fourbanger (Poor Mans Rubicon)

Comment

It was such a great day out today! So I desided to do a Metal Detector run through the first Bottom Mile. Ran into an old timer which pointed out some other stuff. He actually didnt know what the road was. There seems to be some pens at the bottom portion of the trail above the canyon and I seen the same on the upper portion away from the canyon floor.

Does any one know how far a horse pulling a frieght wagon can go before it needs a break?

Ok the metal detector trip was a bust..so far but I'm 3 pesos richer ( found one before earlier)

Heres some photos

http://britain.connectnet.com/Photog...run/index.html
                              97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                              WEB site

Comment

Working...
                              X