Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockwood/Miller Trail

On Sunday morning, May 7, I learned that the winter closures of the trails in the Los Padres National Forest had ended. I immediately called Sean (Jumpjet) and he agreed to join me in checking out the Lockwood/Miller Jeep Trails.

We met at the Flying J Truck Stop in Frazier Park, and we proceeded to the trailhead where we aired down just before noon. The weather was sunny and warm; a perfect day for wheeling. My TJ is on the left and Sean’s ZJ is on the right:

We crossed Lockwood creek and started up the trail:

As one would expect, the trail shows signs of erosion from the winter snow and rain, but the trail is still passable:

The view from the trail is as beautiful as ever:

Last edited by Russ Chung; 05-09-06, 01:46 AM.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Sean is climbing Kabob Hill:

I don’t know if this obstacle has a name, but the combination of the rock on the right and the drop on the left sure gets my attention each time I run this trail.

Sean crossing Lockwood Creek just upstream from Sunset Campground:

We took a break at Sunset Campground:

KI6MLU

Comment

After our lunch break, we crossed Piru Creek and continued up the Miller Trail:

Some photos of the Miller Trail:

While we were stopped for lunch at Sunset Campground, a Ford Bronco passed us. We caught up to it about a mile up the trail; the driver had stopped to let the engine cool, and its electric fan had caused the battery to run down. After a little troubleshooting, we determined that the alternator belt was slipping enough to prevent the battery from charging. We adjusted the belt; jump started the Bronco, and followed it up the trail:

At the end of the Miller Trail, we returned to I-5 via the Alamo Mountain Loop and Gold Hill Road. This is the crossing of Piru Creek on Gold Hill Road:

KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung

I don’t know if this obstacle has a name, but the combination of the rock on the right and the drop on the left sure gets my attention each time I run this trail.

i take it miller is open.....that is awesome.
        i have heard that called "the squeeze"
        1978 CJ7, 304 V8, T-150, locked AMC 20 with Superior Axles, Warn M8000, RE 2.5" lift, 31"BFG mudterrains, Naked and dirty 7 months of the year! Cant wait to get more!

Comment

Awesome trip report, looks like a blast!
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Russ,
            Always look forward to your trail reports another one well done! Looks like fun!
            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
            WEB site

Comment

I get a bad sort of chill everytime I see the beginning of the trail now (out of the creek). That used to be such a fun climb until they turned it into a wide one lane highway

Nice trip report! And wish I had been out there!!!
              03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
              "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Russ, as always, great report! I plan on running this trail with my local club on May 20-21 for the first time (first time for me), and am definitely looking forward to it! Thanks for the preview
                -Bob
                '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

More pics

Here are some pictures Sean (Jumpjet) took of my Jeep on the Lockwood trail during our run on May 7:

Looking back at the first third of the trail:

Crossing Lockwood creek just before Sunset Campground.

While we were stopped for lunch, we met some motor bikes crossing Piru Creek

After lunch, we crossed Piru Creek and began climbing up the Miller trail:

At the end of the trail: A view of the Lockwood Valley from the Alamo Mountain Loop

KI6MLU

Comment

Working...
                  X