• Show
Clear All

• Summers Almost Gone, Winters Coming On – Lake Isabella Base Camp Runs

I've laid around and played around this old town too long
    Summers almost gone, winters coming on
    I've laid around and played around this old town too long
    And I feel like I've gotta travel on

[roll]297[/roll]

Andrew Weber (valleydrew559) and I plan to host an end of summer/start of autumn weekend encampment at Lake Isabella. The plan is to set up a base camp on the shore of Lake Isabella (about an hour’s drive northeast of Bakersfield on Highway 178, about three hours from Los Angeles, about four hours from Orange County and about five hours from the Bay Area), then run some of the trails in the area.

Directions:

From Bakersfield. From the intersection of CA-99 and CA-58, go east on CA-58 for 7 miles. Take the CA-184/Lamont exit, turn left and head north on CA-184 for 1.2 miles. Turn right on CA-178 (Kern Canyon Road). Go 36 miles to the entrance to the Auxiliary Dam Campground on the left.

From San Diego or the Inland Empire: Take I-15 to US-395 to Inyokern. Turn left on CA-178 (W. Inyokern Road). CA-178 merges with CA-14 after 3 miles, and turns right after 4 miles. Stay on CA-178. Go 43 miles to the entrance to the Auxiliary Dam Campground on the right.

Base camp:

Base camp will be at the Lake Isabella Auxiliary Dam campground. The campground is on the beach adjacent to the dam. It has restrooms and plenty of room for tents, Jeeps, RVs, tow vehicles, and best of all, for WATER TOYS. Bring your fishing gear. The camp is adjacent to the town of Lake Isabella, so it is easy to get fuel, food and supplies. The fee is five dollars per vehicle per night and you are on the honor system; you deposit your fee in the fee box at the entrance to the campground. The base camp will be at the extreme north end of the beach, approximately ½ mile from the entrance.

[SIZED]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/UF92134/Lake%20Isabella%202006-Aug/P1040106.jpg[/SIZED]

The runs:

On Saturday, September 30, Andrew will lead a run on the Freeway Ridge trail (Trail #70 in the Charles Wells Northern California Guide). This trail is rated “most difficult”, but is well within the capability of a stock Rubicon. Drivers meeting will be held at base camp at 8:45 am, departure at 9:00 am.

[SIZED]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/UF92134/Lake%20Isabella%202006-Aug/P1040075.jpg[/SIZED]

On Saturday evening, Andrew and Russ plan to make an easy run to view the sunset and see the lights of Lake Isabella. Drivers meeting will be held at base camp at 5:45 pm, departure at 6:00 pm. Following the run, everyone will return to base camp, enjoy the campfire and possibly a moonlit dip in the lake before retiring for the night.

On Sunday, Russ will lead a run along the Sherman Pass 4x4 trail (Trail #68 in the Wells Northern California Guide). Drivers meeting will be held at base camp at 8:45 am, departure at 9:00 am. This scenic trail is also rated “most difficult” and easily negotiated by a stock Rubicon. Bring warm clothing; although rare, snow is possible at this time of year. The lunch stop will be at the top of Sherman Peak (elevation 9,900). Anyone who needs to leave early to make the journey home can take an easy forest road to return to the highway. The rest of the group will continue to the end of the Sherman Pass 4x4 trail and should finish by mid-afternoon.

[SIZED]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/UF92134/Lake%20Isabella%202006-Aug/P1040128.jpg[/SIZED]

[SIZED]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/UF92134/Lake%20Isabella%202006-Aug/P1040129.jpg[/SIZED]

More pictures of Lake Isabella and the two trails can be found here: Lake Isabella Pictures
    Last edited by Russ Chung; 09-09-06, 07:56 PM.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Hi Russ

That's looks like it will be awesome! I'm moving that weekend but would love to go otherwise.
    Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

i'll put myself down for a tentative on this one. should have the jeep fixed by then and would love to run some new trails in the sequoia area.
      03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

I'll call myself tentative on this one as well...sounds like fun.

Mikey, what's broke on the Jeep? :confused2
        -Bob
        '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by steelman
          Mikey, what's broke on the Jeep? :confused2
          stripped skid plate bolt socket and bent rear lower control arm. should be fixed by next saturday.

if i got a lift i would probably destroy fewer parts.

Comment

Hmm... I like the base camp idea.

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike
              Lift it already! :shout: :devil:
              -Bob
              '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike
                After I got my lift, I found myself taking the extra credit routes instead of the bypasses. The net result is just as much, if not more carnage.
                KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung
                  After I got my lift, I found myself taking the extra credit routes instead of the bypasses. The net result is just as much, if not more carnage.
                  Isn't that the truth!

Russ, my Grandmother used to have a cabin in the area. It has been probably 20 years since I was up in that area. I'm still trying to find the time and energy to fix some things on the Jeep. Hopefully by the end of this month it all should be done. That being the case, I will be a maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung
                    unfortunately i usually try the extra credit even without a lift which is why parts have broken.

but i do agree with russ in that if i get a lift i will just increase the carnage beyond what i now see.

Comment

Russ,
                      Man I wish I could go with you guys. That's another area that I have very little experience in. I'm already going to JV that weekend. I'll just have to depend on your mighty camera wielding abilities to show me the money... Be safe and have a great time.
                      Rat
                      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I am getting gears and lockers installed this week and if everything goes well, I should have the TJ back next weekend. Do you guys think it is ok to join only a few days after new gears and lockers?

Also, is it open to newbies and families? I don't have much experience but I am always looking for a good group of people to learn from to build my confidence. Also, my wife and daugher want to come along.
                        [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence
                          I am getting gears and lockers installed this week and if everything goes well, I should have the TJ back next weekend. Do you guys think it is ok to join only a few days after new gears and lockers?

Also, is it open to newbies and families? I don't have much experience but I am always looking for a good group of people to learn from to build my confidence. Also, my wife and daugher want to come along.
                          Lawrence,
                          There's no better way to test those new gears and lockers than on the trail! Having said that, hopefully the installer told you that ALL gear manufacturers recommend that you run the newly installed gear sets for a minimum of 500 EASY street miles before taking them off road. This break-in period is mandatory for the ring and pinion to seat properly. It also gives you time to make sure the backlash and pinion depth settings are correct. If they aren't you'll know real fast. Loud howling, unusual vibrations, especially on deceleration (coasting). SO if you can rack up 500 miles before this run and all feels good, go for it dude! Take a gallon of gear oil and a hand pump( Pep Boys $12) with you, and just for good measure change the gear oil the day before you go trailing.

Have fun!
                          Rat
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence

Yes, please join us. The reason that we are setting up a base camp at Lake Isabella is so that families can join in; even if they don't want to go wheeling they can find plenty to do at the lake. The trails have a few difficult spots, but newbies and stock Jeeps can make it (that's what tow straps are for ) As Kurt said, make sure your new gears are broken in gradually. Ask your mechanic for break-in instructions.
                            KI6MLU

Comment

Russ

We are still undecieded.
                              Lawrance

This is a good group to wheel with. If you are uncomfortable with something, they will not push you beyond what you think you can do.
                              Most of the time, your jeep is far more capable then what you are comfortable with.

Russ, we will post up if we will make it as we get closer to this date.

Todd & Teresa
                              Navy-Jeepster
                              Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
                              Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

Working...
                              X