Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fearless' Folly

Fearless' Folly - Trail Report

FreewayDan and I checked out the RoughWheelers new trail in the El Mirage OHV Area. We met up in the Cajon Pass and headed up through Adelanto and then headed West to the OHV Park.

We passed through the heavily used ATV and Motorcycle area and headed towards the hills. After passing the #10 Rest Area, we stopped at the trail head to determine the trail:

The trails went in every direction, so we tried to follow the instructions from the website posting as close as we could. The trail is marked by blue marking tape periodically along the driver's side of the trail. Even so, you need the instructions and map from the webside to ensure that you are headed the right way.

We went Northeast to the boundary gate:

Then turned Southeast along the fence line to get to the climb up the back side of the Crow's Nest:

There was an extra credit side trail that came through a wash to meet up with the trail. We would have tried it, but we missed the entrance. We didn't realize it until we started climbing the hill.

The view from the Crow's Nest is excellent:

The way down is a steep drop off and descent down a loose rock trail. The View from the Jeep looks like this:

The View from the top looks like this:

And Danny starting down the trail looked like this:

And that is not looking up from all the way at the bottom. Sharon hopped out to take pictures before I made it to the bottom.

After that, the trail becomes a series of climbs and descents. The first ones are fairly mild:

The next side trail was a steep hill climb. The top of this hill is tricky and Danny gave us a brief scare:

At the next hill, we took a look at the climb:

But the Website said that the Gulch side trail was tougher, so we tried it instead. I lead the way and Danny followed. The beginning of the gulch quickly turned to small loose boulders:

On the way up, I sheared off a valve stem:

This was not the ideal place to have to change a tire:

After the change, we were finally ready to continue up the gulch:

Once we got to the top, we descended into a quiet secluded valley and had lunch. The next part of the trail climbed up and then descended down a steep, loose, and tilty hill. There wasn't an opportunity for photos unfortunately.

The next side trail had some tight spots:

But was not as challenging as the previous gulch. While climbing over the next hill headed to Snoopy's Gulch, Danny started having some serious idle problems. As we got to the entrance to the gulch, we pulled over to the side to watch some folks on a Rhino give it a try. We were not even parked well before they were turning around. Considering that I had no spare and Danny was having fuel supply issues, we decided to walk Snoopy's Gulch instead:

Danny and I discussed how we would like to tackle the lines on the next run on the trail:

Afterward, we headed down to Resurrection Hill:

Here is Danny just before climbing the hill:

Leaving the Hill, we went toward the dry lake bed:

We cruised across the dry lake bed to the road to the park entrance. It was a great way to end the trail:

This is a good trail that I would like to explore again. I really want to take the challenge of Snoopy's Gulch. Danny and I had a great time and would like to make a run with more of the MJR folks.

The rest of my pics can be seen at this link:
    http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...24-07/?start=0
    Last edited by Mike; 11-24-07, 11:07 PM. Reason: Spellin'
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Nice pics and report Mike. Looks like a fun run.
    Check out .

Comment

I'm in. When we goin???
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Nice detailed report! Thanks for taking the time to share.

Dave
        84 CJ7, SOA,258 Howell TBI, T5, Dana 300/4:1,4.10s Dana 30 and ARB front, AMC20 Superior axles and ARB rear,35" MTR's

Comment

Great pic's!! The Desert Jewel has yet to conquer the Fearless Folly's after all her upgrades. Your pic's remind me of why my stock little DJ got all her parts broken She's all ready to take it on now! Would love to go on the next trip

Comment

Looks fun! Sounds like a trip I'd like too!
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

great pics mikelooks like a great run hey mike you should right for a 4 wheein magazine great trail report lol
              :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

Comment

Thanks for the trip pics, cant wait to do it again. The trip home was uneventful no traffic 70 mph all the way. The jeep stalled out 2 times but restarted (still the code #22 tps) Anyone want to buy a JEEP? (just kidding) What did you end up dong whith your tire??
                The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

I'm in next time!

As always, an eye witness as it happens, feel like we were there with you guys, report. Great stuff guys! Lets get Snoopy.... soon!
                  Best, Max7
                  "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by freewaydan View Post
                    Thanks for the trip pics, cant wait to do it again. The trip home was uneventful no traffic 70 mph all the way. The jeep stalled out 2 times but restarted (still the code #22 tps) Anyone want to buy a JEEP? (just kidding) What did you end up dong whith your tire??
                    That sucks about stalling out. I hope that you can work it out soon. The tire is fixed, just put it back on Mr. Green tonight. I also fixed the shock bushings. Had to carve my own out of what I could find at Autozone, but it works.

I think that I am ready to take on Snoopy soon.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Max7 View Post
                      As always, an eye witness as it happens, feel like we were there with you guys, report. Great stuff guys! Lets get Snoopy.... soon!
                      Best, Max7
                      Right on! Snoopy is SOOOoo your kinda trail. When we were walking it, you were the first person that I thought of that needed to know about this spot!

The toughest thing that I had to try to get used to on this whole trail is that the dang rocks MOVE! Loose rocks in loose soil. It's a thrill. I agree, we should plan a run soon.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Great pics! The best I've seen so far of this trail. Thank you
                        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Valve stem

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
                          Fearless' Folly - Trail ReportOn the way up, I sheared off a valve stem:
                          Mike I realize you already addressed the issue, but it got me thinking to do a little research...enjoy my valve stem obsessiveness.

Here's some info about options for valve stems some of which I didn't even know exisited until today.

The cheapest option is to grab some replacement snap-in style valve stems from your tire shop. If they charge you for them they should be less than a buck each. http://www.gemplers.com/valve-stems sells them for 95 cents. Gempler's also sells the core tool and the Tubeless Snap-in Valve Insertion/Removal Tool for a little less than $9. Pretty good web-site too.

Then there's FLUSH-MOUNT VALVE STEM KITS from Gorilla which you can buy from JC Whitney I guess the Hot Rod crowd has been using for the clean look.
                          http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...003835/c-10101

They are really flush and come with a grip cap or a slot cap. $15.

Last the Nascar approved Surevalve.
                          http://www.hcwsinc.com/index.htm

"The Surevalve ™ is a revolutionary new valve stem / tire valve, it consists of two parts: the base valve and the outer break-away stem. The base valve sits subriminal and contains the valve core. The outer valve stem is a break-away stem that is double-sealed to prevent air, dirt, and moisture from contaminating the valve core. During a severe impact to the Surevalve ™, the outer valve stem is designed to break at the score with no air loss"....And is easily replaceable. Suprisingly these sell for only 25 bucks for all 4.

There may be more options but I thought these were a good start for some of us. Great stocking stuffers too...

Best, Max7
                          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

That's why I bought deep dish wheels. Just another suggestion.
                            Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by freewaydan View Post
                              Dan, I know a guy that does wonders with Jeep engine swaps. He helped me with my Vortec swap. He has done a lot of 4.3 swaps and really knows his $h!t. He is also very fair with his prices.
                              Check out .

Comment

Working...
                              X